Chris, Emma and Sarah are writing a series of Dear La Brisa letters to clients, photographers and anyone who is interested. Do you have questions/topics for us to consider? Go ahead and send them to DearLaBrisa@LaBrisaPhotography.com! Today, Emma is sharing a letter to engaged couples about how to dress for their Attraction Session!
Dear Love Birds,
This one’s for you.
Now photos with you and your fiance is a big deal. Let’s not pretend like it isn’t. Whether you’re really excited, really nervous, or both, these photos will capture the essence of who you are at this crazy-awesome stage of life. After this you’ll get married, maybe throw a couple of kids into the mix (Dear Parents: “Things to Know Before Your Family Photos” by Sarah Gudeman!) and all the while you’re becoming older and wiser, never again to be the same young, carefree, pre-wedded individuals that you are right now. See, I told you these photos are a big deal. And as these are a big deal, obviously, you’ll want to look good! Let me break it down for ya!
THE TWO GOLDEN RULES OF YOUR ATTRACTION SESSION:
1. BE YOU. You fell in love just as you are and that’s what I want to capture! Don’t overthink it and don’t wear anything that you wouldn’t wear otherwise (and will probably never wear again).
2. BE COMFORTABLE. This one goes hand-in-hand with rule number one. Having your photo taken is already nerve-racking enough…so don’t pile on any other reasons to be uncomfortable. Dress for the weather and please stay away from itchy sweaters.
ALL OF THE OTHER STUFF:
– CHOOSE ONE CASUAL OUTFIT. And wear it first! Never underestimate the power of the well-put-together casual ensemble.
– CHOOSE ONE FUN OUTFIT. This is your time to show off how much you two love your city, your favorite sports team (maybe you met at a ballgame), your favorite movie, etc. So have fun with it!
– CHOOSE ONE DRESSY OUTFIT. As with any special occasion, you’ve got to dress the part. And who needs a better reason to get all dressed up anyway?
– DON’T BE TOO COORDINATED. The idea here is not to look like siblings (yikes!). Coordinating tones are great…matching prints, not so much. Varying colors and prints add more depth and intrigue to the photos!
– SAY NO TO LARGE PRINTS OR LOGOS. Large prints and logos will only distract from the two of you. And although those shirts are great to wear for the average day, that’s not the statement we are trying to make here!
– ACCESSORIZE! Jewelry, cardigans, scarves, hats, etc. are an awesome way to show off who you are and add a little something extra to the photos!
– THIS ONE’S FOR THE GIRLS: HAIR AND MAKE-UP. If you feel so inclined, go get your hair and make-up done! However, make sure you still look like you and that you are comfortable with how you look (taking it back to the two Golden Rules of Attraction Sessions). Also, never underestimate a pop of lip color!
– BRING SOME WALKING SHOES. This one’s an extra tip! Chances are you’re going to be doing a fair amount of walking (and possibly some hiking, depending on location). So make sure you bring some good ‘ole walk around shoes that you don’t mind getting a little dirty. You can change into your new kicks once you get to where you’re going.
Check out our latest TOP TEN! post…TOP TEN Reasons for including a First Look at your wedding!
Check out our latest Dear La Brisa post…Dear Photographers: “How to Prepare for your First Wedding” by Chris Hsieh!